Skip to main content

An Embarrassment of Riches - Italy Comes to Hong Kong

Latest blog from Martin Lea, our General Manager in the Far East:

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending the inaugural James Suckling Great Wines of Italy event held at the Island Shangri La in Hong Kong. All of the top producers in Italy were where there - Bruno Giacosa, Casanova Di Neri, Marchesi Antinori, Paolo Scavino, Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia, Tenuta San Guido (Sassicaia), Valdicava, Vietti, Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona and Zenato (to name just a few). It was the biggest tasting of Italian wines ever hosted in Asia and the event was completely sold out, highlighting the growing popularity of the wines in this part of the world. 

Italian wines are made to be drunk. They are great with food and offer outstanding value for money, so it is no surprise that as the market for fine wine in Asia grows, so has the demand for Italian wines. There is nothing like meeting the winemakers to learn about the wines - all of the producers that I spoke to were really excited to be showing their wines to such enthusiastic wine lovers and many feel Asia is now their key market. 

All of the wines on show were rated 90 points or higher by James Suckling and there really was an embarrassment of riches to enjoy. I don't recall ever going to a single wine tasting with so many truly outstanding wines. The trade session between 3-5pm went by in a flash and I could have done with an extra hour or so to keep tasting when the event drew to a close at 9pm. The wines that impressed me the most were:


2001 Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona Brunello di Montalcino Riserva 

2007 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto 

2009 Sassicaia 

2004 Vietti Villero Barolo Riserva 

2006 Zenato Amarone

And last but not least, the 2006 Brunello Di Montalcino Riserva Madonna Del Piano Valdicava
All of these wines were utterly spellbinding and the Madonna Del Piano was out of this world. I haven't tasted a more impressive young Brunello. I can assure there was no 'spitting' where these wines were concerned. When I left the event I couldn't help but think I really do have the best job in the world – one that gives me the opportunity to taste such great wines. 

The event was a huge success and credit must go to James Suckling for the outstanding job he has done in promoting Italian wines and raising their profile here. I managed to speak with James and he said that due to the day’s success this will now become an annual event. I'm sure even more producers will be queuing up to participate next year, as the interest in Italian wines is only going to increase of the next 12 months. 

I for one will be making sure I get my ticket early! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

  New Release: 2021 Produttori del Barbaresco Riserva 'Crus' Collectors Case Today we are delighted to offer some brilliant mixed cases of 2021 Riserva Barbarescos from Produttori del Barbaresco , providing a unique opportunity to sample the different “terroirs” of the Piedmont region.  The 2021 vintage is already regarded as one of the all-time greats for Barbaresco, and Italian wine authority, Antonio Galloni, has awarded some HUGE ratings for the wines!   'This is a superb set of new releases from the Produttori del Barbaresco cooperative. The Produttori remain the single most important producer in Barbaresco because of the quality of their wines and the scale of their deep reach into many markets around the world. The Produttori’s 2021 Riservas are fabulous. It’s an extremely consistent vintage across all nine wines, somethi...

Silvia Vannucci's Piaggia Carmignano Riserva 2019 & 2020 Piaggia Cabernet Franc Poggio de’Colli

  We all know the story of Super Tuscan wines, how in the 1970's the likes of Antinori broke the rules and introduced French grape varieties to Italy. Hold on. Re-wind. Quite far, in fact, back to the 1500's when Henry II of France married Catherine de Medici. The French gifted the Medici family some Cabernet vines, which they planted in their vineyards in Carmignano. Carmignano is a tiny 110 hectare appellation in Tuscany, protected from the cold of the north by the Apennines, and from the vagaries of coastal weather by the Montalbano hills, with soils rich in clay and schist. It already had a great reputation for growing local varieties like Sangiovese - by the 1700's it had already been given a protected classification - and it has been blending these with Cabernet varieties for hundreds of years. Roll forward to the 1970's, and Maur...

An extract from The Drinks Business, "On the third day of Christmas…" 10 December 2025, by Colin Hay

An extract from The Drinks Business , "On the third day of Christmas…" 10 December 2025 By Colin Hay " On the third day of Christmas, my true love is starting to lose a little of her early-season festive cheer. Perhaps this self-assembled mixed case of Champagnes will help?  The wines : In a similar vein, another (self-assembled) mixed case – Christmas turns out to be quite a lot of work this year for my true love! The concept:  It’s not Christmas without Champagne and I’ve had the good fortune this year to taste a fair bit of grower champagne that has really impressed me. So I’ve splurged a bit here in proposing a mixed case of no fewer than 9 bottles – 3 non-vintage, 6 vintage. And, at the risk of getting into a little bit of trouble, one of them is not Champagne at all – but, instead, a rare wine from the UK that would fare very well in a blind tasting alongside similarly prices top producer Champagnes. It comes from Paul-Emmanuel Taittinger and Patrick McGrath MW’s j...